Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Monster Body Parts

I've been neglecting this blog for a couple months so I'm gonna try to do a bunch of posts the next couple days showing some of the stuff I've been working on.

For the last 3 months or so I've been working for a language teaching program for small children called Language Sprout. I started by illustrating a bunch of vocabulary words for them to use in various ways. The first section of which was body parts and physical descriptions. I did 37. For these vocabulary illustrations they wanted me to work with a theme of monsters. I love horror movies so this was probably my favorite paid thing I've worked on for a while.

Here's some of the reject sketches and art:


Big 
Even before I watched Hannibal I loved the idea of antlers on things. A bit inspired by Where the Wild Things Are

Big
Big had a lot of changes. Its hard to talk about size without comparison.

Small
It looked too much like baby Mr. Krabs.

Butt
Inspired by the devil guy in Cow and Chicken. How can anyone forget that butt?

Back
Too realistic.

Chest
My mind always go to Frankenstein's monster when I think monster.

Cute
Fairly similar to the final. Sheep + bat = Adorable in my opinion. Also bow ties are cool.

 Eyebrows

Eyes
This was the first concept I did. Too scary. Inspired by Digimon.

Eyes

Nose
Got a bit further with this one before it was axed and switched out for something more human. They were all sketched in Photoshop but finished and colored in Abobe Illustrator.



Keep an eye out for some of these vocab illustration appearing on my website soon!

I've done more vocab illustration stuff that I'll probably post more on soon. And I'm just about done illustrating and formatting a book for them.

Besides that I've been re-learning some Unity stuff and doing some basic game programming, so more on that later too.



No comments:

Post a Comment